Thursday, December 20, 2012

Its a piece of junk

     After my mother in law passed away in 2008, my husband convinced me that we needed to buy her van. At the time I had a pontiac montana van that I loved. Her van had less miles, leather seats, was a Chrysler town and country , and would have a better resale value he said. I relented and so for four years I have hated what I drive. For the last two we have been plagued with issues. I spent mega bucks between the summer of 2010 and 2011 on the a/c. In the last year we have replaced a front hub at least three times and nobody can tell me why it keeps eating them up. Around October I decided that if it could make it til tax time, it was gonna be history. Alas, it was not meant to be. I am done !
     Friday morning I took it to get the oil changed and tires rotated. Pretty routine right? Not in my world. Forty minutes later I receive the news that BOTH front hubs are dangerously loose and need to be replaced and in the process of changing the oil a significant oil leak was found in my front gasket. By that afternoon both issues were fixed and I was on the road again. Saturday morning I went out to finish my Christmas shopping . Upon pulling back into the driveway the low oil pressure light came on and started a  very annoying dinging sound. I went back out later around lunch time, stopped at a gas station and noticed anti freeze dripping from the bottom. I had reached my limit and announced to my husband that I was done, just done.
     For the rest of that day I scoured the internet for cars. I no longer want to be a van mom. I want a car. Call it mid life crisis, call it whatever you want, I want a car. I have decided that I want a Dodge charger and I am pretty specific about my wants. I want it to be gray or silver. I want a sunroof, I want less than 100,000 miles and I want it now.We haven't made car payments in about 10 years so if I am gonna be paying that much for something I am not gonna settle for what I don't want. Unfortunately the universe is working against me.
     Eric was out of town Monday and Tuesday. While he was gone I took some time to check his credit report. Good news is that his credit score is good, bad news is that in July somebody used his name and social security number to open an account at Carolina West and not pay the bill . Much of his time yesterday was spent on the phone talking to Carolina West, the collection agency where the account has been placed , the credit reporting agencies,the police department and Patterson Dodge, which by the way doesn't have what I want.They have one used charger on the lot but it is white , no sunroof, and its 6 cylinder not a hemi. In the words of my husband, having a charger without a hemi is like having a jeep without four wheel drive, what's the point? They say they can find us what we want and I would prefer to buy from them instead of going out of town. 1) Eric knows a few people over there and believes we can get a better deal and 2) I like to stay local if possible.
     I don't think the oops on the credit report will stop us from getting a loan but it will perhaps slow things down. Even slower than that will be Patterson actually finding what I want and getting it here. I am normally a patient person but here's the deal.Patterson has already evaluated my van and gave us a trade in price. Last night after church we get in and crank it up. Eric gets very still and says, "do you feel that?" It was shaking, literally shaking sitting still. As soon as it went into drive the check engine light started flashing, not came on and stayed on , FLASHING ! We weren't sure if we were gonna make it home. Eric drove it to work this morning so I could drive his truck and hooked it up to see what was wrong with it. Well, according to the code its the computer. To top it all off the air bag light started flashing . I swear we need to call in a priest, this thing is possesed. It's as done as I am. So Patterson could say that they will still take it as long as we can get it there OR they could say, no deal. Trade in is void. I will NOT spend any more money on this van just to trade it because if I haven't mentioned it before... I AM DONE! As Si would say "This thangs a piece of junk ".
     Having said all of that ...I am not stressed. I know that Eric will get it home this evening and we will park it in the driveway until we either take it to Patterson to trade or have call someone to pick it up for crushing. I am honestly happy that I never have to drive it again.I know that God's timing is perfect so I may not be driving a new to me car by the end of the week like I originally wanted but someday very soon I will. Yes, my friends, its all about faith. " Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. " Hebrews11:1 I do not proclaim knowledge of how God is going to work this out I just know that He will. I'm just along for the ride.
    

1 comment:

  1. That thing needs to go for sure! I hope you get your car soon. You'll need it to visit me.

    ReplyDelete