Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Not just another trip to the store

     A little while ago I made a trip to the grocery store for toilet paper and dog food. As I approached the cashier , her and another store associate were talking about how much they do at home. Of course I joined in providing a comment. For the record, we weren't husband bashing. I don't do that. It was more about how much we do and how much the others in our household don't realize how much we do.
     It was a gentle reminder to me at how blessed I really am. In general I know this all the time but sometimes God uses situations around me to kick it into my heart.My husband works upwards of 50 plus hours a week. He works hard and comes home dirty. We have two children and I have been blessed to be able to be a stay at home wife and mommy since their birth.It hasn't always been easy and not without sacrifice.I have found ways to contribute financially throughout the years but Eric is the breadwinner so to speak.He brings home the bacon and I fry it up in a pan.Not only that, but most everything else too.
     For as long as I can remember there has been a kind of unspoken rule between him and I.As long as it is possible he will work outside of the home and I will do everything else. I work hard. Sometimes at the end of the day I am dirty too. I match his work hours. I just get paid differently.Just as his job can be demanding, tiring, and overwhelming at times, mine is as well. Let me be clear, this isn't something that he expects, it is what I have chosen to do in appreciation and love for what he does.
     As our children get older, they will pick up more responsibility and my work load will ease some. Until then I thank God for allowing me to be the stay at home wife and mommy that I know I was meant to be. Recently my husband let me know that he realizes and appreciates how hard I work.He thanked me for taking care of him and our children. I don't do what I do specifically for moments such as that but when they happen , that is my paycheck and it's worth more than I could earn anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment