Friday, June 10, 2011

One decision

     I have always been a believer that even the smallest decisions we make on a daily basis can have a huge impact on our days , weeks, months, years , or even lives. If I hadn't already believed that , I would be be convinced of it now. MCA had a half day today and we had already established that we weren't going to have enough kids in after school for me to work today. So, my first instinct was to keep the kids out of school today and get to a garage early in my last ditch attempt to get my freon leak fixed before we leave for Florida on Sunday. Ben announced yesterday afternoon that he was supposed to help with the saying of the Pledge of Allegiance this morning at the assembly and I didn't want to cheat him out of that chance. After all the assemblies usually only last til around 9:30 am.
     If only everything would go as planned...Assembly didn't end til almost 10:30 and then we had to visit the classrooms to pick up report cards. Then , even though only 1 or 2 children was scheduled to attend after school care, I ended up staying til a little after 11 . I didn't get to the garage til 11:30 at which point I am informed that Rodney isn't there and they are closing for lunch and I can come back around 1:30. Well that was quite a bit of time and gas wasted. I came home and planned the rest of my day , making a list of all the stops I needed to make after getting the van fixed. Meantime Eric was scheduled to sing in Lowgap at 4pm and Ben wanted to go with him.
      I leave the house again at 1:00 and head to the garage. Rodney is still nowhere to be found at 1:30 . So me and the kids camp out inside out of the sun but still in a very hot place with not even a chair for me to sit in. Rodney shows up at 1:45 only to tell me he can't fix it today because he has to leave early today. At this point Eric is on his way there to pick up Ben and I can't get him on the phone to tell him I am leaving. I left a voice mail saying I will be at the nearest gas station, a voice mail that he doesn't get til he is almost at the garage.When he finally shows up at the gas station his car is pouring steam out of the hood and he is ILL. By now its 2:30 and my day is almost gone. Cara and I head to Walmart and we are almost to the checkout when my phone rings . Its my husband who has made it as far as Beulah. He needs me to buy an altenator belt and bring it to him.
     After standing in line at O'Reileys for almost 10 minutes and seeing only 1 person working behind the counter its back in the van and a trip to Advance. $16 dollars later and another 12 minutes to Beulah and Eric has his belt and the car running without steam. Back to Mount Airy and 4 stops later I am home but still short a trip to the grocery store.That will have to wait til later this evening after I have had a chance to sit and breathe. I guess packing will have to start tomorrow after a small birthday party for Cara at noon.
      I don't know how differently my day would have gone if I had only went with my first instinct and skipped school altogether today. I do know that my leak would be fixed and I would know for sure that we would get to and back from Florida with cold air. I probably would have had more time to get ALL of my errands completed and not just some of them. Moral of the story, always go with your first instinct.

No comments:

Post a Comment