Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Can you be more specific?

     Consider this you daily PSA message. Around a year ago a friend of mine posted a warning about topical flea control. Sadly she had lost her cat after applying a topical flea and tick control product. I thought about how horrible it must have been for her but didn't give it much thought because #1 I have dogs and #2 I had used topical stuff on all of my dogs before without incident.Well, here is my warning to all of you, listen closely.
     About a week ago my husband spotted a flea and I knew it was time to do the yearly summer thing and get them under control. Earlier this week I made a trip to Petsense and shelled out about $20 for Biospot. I bought the correct dosage according to size and read all of the information on the box. Last night I re read the directions and applied the liquid to both of my dogs. Within about an hour both dogs started scratching and going a little crazy which is normal considering the fleas are moving around on the body trying to escape.The hubby was out of town and didn't know if he was even going to be in before today's workday so I stayed up fairly late for me and then put the dogs in their kennel. One of the dogs, my sweet boy Hokie couldn't get still. I assumed he was still having to deal with wandering fleas and would settle down. I dozed off and on awakening every little bit to him flopping around .
     Around 2am Eric came home and cut on the light and I got up to potty. When I came back to the bedroom I noticed that Hokie was standing up but not to steady on his feet. I immediately went to work online to find out what was going on. Sure enough there is plenty of information online about the hazards of this product including hyperactivity, vomiting , diarehea, seizures, organ failure , and even death. I wasted no time throwing on the nearest swimsuit and bathing him , not once but twice. I then spent the next 3 and a half hours watching him just turn in circles and twitch when he tried to get still. At 5:30 he fell over while in a sitting position and I thought he had died. I can only assume he just collapsed out of exhaustion because he was finally just asleep. I dozed off thinking that he probably wouldn't be alive when I woke up. I only slept an hour before waking up and realizing Eric should have been gone. He had overslept so I picked Hokie up, took him upstairs, woke Eric up , leashed both dogs and took them out to potty.
     He is kind of normal today. He has eaten a little and he is drinking. He has played a little but mostly just wants to be attached to me. He is still over hyper and there is just something still not quite right. I think he will live but I don't know how much damage was done to his body and brain so I am not sure what issues still lie ahead. Its not clear yet if he is acting funny because he is still totally freaked out or if its the stuff still wreaking havoc in his little body.
     I have read every single word on the product box itself again. 4 times it says to not use on cats.The only warning it gives about dogs is this :Sensitivities may occur after using any pesticide product for pets.If signs of sensitivity occur, bathe your pet with a mild soap and rinse with large amounts of water. The average person reading that warning would assume that " sensitivity " would mean a skin reaction, or at least that is how I had taken that. In my quick research last night I realized that many dogs have died because of products like this. It isn't just Biospot, its any over the counter topical flea and tick control. The majority of dogs handle it just fine and then some just can't tolerate it and sadly die after horrific suffering. I will be researching non harmful ways of controlling the flea situation. I will NEVER EVER use anything like this again and I encourage everyone reading this to make the same decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment