Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Can I get an amen?

     I voted this morning like all american citizens should do and it was easy, in and out. Nobody was standing around trying to sway me either way which kind of surprised me but I was grateful.Next on my list was Walmart, oh how I hate that place.I was rounding the dairy aisle just as an older man very loudly started speaking to another older man about God and how God was always on time and God had never let him down. My immediate thought was "Bless him for being so vocal about his love for God ". Then he opened his mouth again and spewed something that left me feeling physically ill.
     "Yep, I just went to vote, one woman , one man. Thats how God meant  it to be. Yep, preached a sermon at a church this Sunday on the very subject. Must have made some people mad though cause some of em got up and left. Guess they don't like the truth. Told em how we needed to weed those gays outta our churches. It just ain't right for us real christians to have to sit beside those people." And that is when I walked far enough away so that I could no longer hear his voice for fear that I would cause a disturbance.
     Am I the one missing something here? Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. Was Jesus not sent to this earth to save sinners? Did he not surround himself with some of the worst sinners? Did he not share meals with sinners? Did he not when given the opportunity to condemn a  sinner reply " He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." ? Did he not say " I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."?
     1 John 4 :8-9 clearly states "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." So , if based upon the information in your Bible, you believe someone to be a sinner is it not your responsibility to love them enough to share what you know so that they be saved instead of condemned to hell? Can someone please explain to me how "weeding out " the sinners and getting "them" outta church is going to accomplish that? If you know and love God then you have the heart of God. I for one can't find anywhere in my Bible where it says that God wants anyone to go to hell, can you? There are many sins that enter our church doors, which ones do we allow in and which ones do we throw out? 1 John 1:8-10says"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us." So what are we to do then? If everyone is a sinner then I guess nobody is fit enough to grace the pew?
     Thank you God for loving me, a sinner, someone who will never be perfect but who strives to have your heart daily. Please never allow me to utter hate but instead let my words always be love. Thank you God for placing me in a church where your Word is preached , nothing more, nothing less.Thank you God for being merciful and gracious even when I deserve much less. Thank you God for Jesus who gave us the perfect example of how we should be and was willing to die for me, a sinner, yes a sinner, so that I can have everlasting life by your throne.
  

3 comments:

  1. YOU are absolutely right. You are also a better person than I, because I wouldn't have walked away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking away was the best thing for me to do. Had I opened my mouth I would not have been nice, making me just as bad as him.

      Delete
  2. Very proud of you Julie! I am even more proud to call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete