Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Small reminders

      Its 11:15 pm and I am sitting on the couch with my 10 year old son who has been sick all evening. We have had a full day. Its spring break so it started with a trip to the grocery store and back home for some lunch.  After lunch I fixed an apple crisp and had not been sitting long when Ben decided today would be a good day to spend some of his birthday money. So off to the toy tractor store we went, then to Kmart where Cara tried on an armful of clothes to layaway for later. Next stop the Dollar tree and then after more than 2 hours of shopping and spending we landed back home where it was time to start supper. It was also the time that Ben said he was feeling bad. He went to my bedroom to sleep while the rest of us ate and just as I had cleared the last of the supper mess  it was time to clean up a Ben made mess. 5 hours later and he is still sick. I hate this kind of sick. There is just absolutely nothing you can do as a mommy to make it better. Right before the second time he was sick , he asked me to pray for him. I asked him how he wanted me to pray and he said out loud. Later he told me that even though it wasn't making it go away , it did make him calmer if I prayed out loud for him while he was sick. I am so proud of my little man for trusting in God to bring him peace through his storm.
     I am tired and do not know when sleep will come . I feel sad for him because I do not know how long this will last. I am also praising God tonight that I have two otherwise healthy children. I have a friend whose daughter has Juvenile diabetes and it is a daily struggle . Its not a 12 or 24 hour bug that just goes away. It is 24 hours a day 7 days a week that my friend must watch her daughter deal with a major life threatening health issue. I am losing this night of sleep but she is up many nights checking on her daughter sometimes waking her up to check her blood sugar so she will awake in the morning.
     I have a FB friend that has a 20 day old baby that has more than one health issue. She had a shunt surgically put into her tiny body less than 48 hours after she entered this world. Baby is right now this minute back in the hospital with an infection.This mother is by her side , leaving her other small child at home in the care of someone else. How horrible to watch your small miracle fight for life and not be able to embrace your other miracle .
     I have yet another friend who lost her child in 2008 when she was 8 years old. Olivia was a very sick little girl for most of her life and required continuous attention. My friend was her continuous attention and as much as she wouldn't have had it any other way , it came at a price. She has always been and will continue to be an inspiration to me. She was then and still is one of the most unselfish people I know.
     I have thought about all of this tonight as the hours have passed , as I have watched my son be sick over and over. I hate hate hate for either one of my children to be sick but it has most definitely served as a reminder to me that one sleepless night is NOTHING . I am blessed , we are blessed that at least for now this is as bad as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment