Saturday, August 6, 2011

His hands

     I just had a fabulous meal at Red Lobster with my family as a belated birthday treat. As we were riding down the road , Eric reached over and took my hand in his. I studied his hand as it held mine for a long time. Oh , how I love his hands. Compared to mine they are monsters , they swallow mine. They are tanned, rough with callouses , and kinda dirty looking even when they are clean.These hands have meant a great deal to me over the years.Most often his hand holds mine just as a simple gesture and physical connection. Those are the times that I love them most. No matter where we are or how many people are around , the simple act of his hand holding mine binds us together . Through the years he has used his hands to show his love for me in many different ways.
     His hand sometimes pinches or slaps my bottom in a playful way as a flirt.Other times, it caresses or massages when flirting has went a little too far.  As fun as those hands are, they are not the most important ones.
     His hands rested upon my belly to feel the precious little feet of kicking babies before they were born. His hand held mine to calm me during the birth of both of our children and then lovingly and gently held them both before even me. They fed hungry babies and changed dirty diapers when I couldn't.They have swatted unruly children and gave a spanking or two when needed.
     His hands have held mine or rubbed my back as I have cried in pain whether physical or emotional. They have held me up at times when I wasn't sure I could stand on my own. They have wiped my tears and stroked my hair to comfort me in times of distress. They have always been a source of strength for me when I have none of my own left.
     His hands have always supported our family by working. They have provided money for all of our needs and even a few wants. His hands are rough , stained , and scarred from many years of hard work but those callouses, stains, and scars are proof of how much he loves us so I love each and every one. Those same hands that have worked so hard have also been used to patiently fix toys or broken appliances.
      His hands are strong yet gentle. They can be harsh or comforting. They have been used for many different things and still my favorite is when one of them just simply holds one of mine.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment