Friday, August 10, 2012

Epic Fail

     This week has sucked ! There aren't many times in my life that I have wished I could rewind and have a do-over but I do right now. Cara started running a fever and feeling bad on Sunday afternoon but by bedtime Sunday night the fever had broken and all seemed well. She felt fine most of the day Monday and she and I attended her open house . She was nervous but excited about her first day of school on Wednesday. After coming back home , her fever returned and her throat started hurting. Tuesday morning brought a trip to Mount Airy middle to pick up Ben's schedule and meet his teachers and then a trip to  Northern Peds for a strep test which was positive.Cara was going to miss her first day of school. Not just any ole day of school but her first day of school at a new school. New teacher, new schedule, new classmates, new building, new everything. So while most kids there have known each other since kindergarten, she was the new kid. And while everybody was there on the first day adjusting to the fifth grade and learning where they were supposed to be and when, Cara was home with me.
     I walked her into the building Thursday morning and left her in the hands of her principal who walked her to class since she had missed her first day. Around 9am I got a call from the school nurse who had Cara in her office not feeling well. Physically Cara was fine but she was having a rough morning. She had missed a bunch of information and just simply felt lost. The nurse kept her there for awhile to allow her to pull herself together before throwing her back to the wolves. By the time I picked her up, she was eating a cupcake , had made some new friends and was doing so much better. Somewhere between that moment and bedtime last night, she regressed . There was a meltdown of sorts before bed with some crying and begging me to not send her back. As a parent I hate to see my children in any kind of pain, physically or emotionally . I HATE to be the bad guy. I tried my best to reassure her that by this time next week she will have made tons of new friends and would know everything there was to know about where things are and what she was supposed to be doing, and then I sent her back to bed.
     Friday morning : Ben has been out late with his daddy playing music every night this week. Some would say that is irresponsible knowing that this is his first week of school but I say he has been spending quality time with his daddy and making memories and that is more important. Anyway, I was aware that it might be hard for him to get up and had made an effort to be very patient with him. I made 4 trips into his room to rouse him and when he finally got up he was upset that he had slept so late. Mind you, I had been working to wake him for 30 minutes before his feet actualy hit the floor. Meanwhile I had been dealing with another meltdown by my other child who had apparently cried herself to sleep and had woken up with a headache and swollen eyes and didn't want to go to school. Both children made it to school on time but not without Mommy having a small breakdown in the driveway before leaving. Cara called at lunch and wanted me to bring her an Ibuprofen for the headache she still had. When I picked her up from school she said that her head had hurt all day, she had feel asleep during library time and had not felt like even eating lunch. I have to say that I was very happy to pull into the driveway with both children in the van knowing that the first week of school was officially behind us.
     Cara did eat supper but I could tell that she just didn't feel good. After Eric and Ben left for Galax we talked about her headache and I believe that she just may have a migrane. I sent my child to school with a migrane! We layed down on my bed and both of us slept for 2 1/2 hours, which put us awaking at 8pm or so and then she went to her bed at 9 and hasn't gotten back up. I can only hope and pray that she feels better tomorrow morning.
     Eric took yesterday and today off work so yesterday I was lazy and just kinda hung out with him. Contrary to what some may think, being a stay at home mommy and wife does not include laying around all day , watching tv, and playing on Facebook. I just couldn't stand doing nothing again all day so I did my usual thing. I swept, mopped, cleaned toilets, scrubbed the tub and shower walls, and did some laundry. Eric left the house at about 12:30 to buy some batteries and a few other things . He called around 1:00 and asked me if I wanted to go out for lunch. I turned him down ! What ? I rarely get the opportunity to go out with my husband without kids and I turn him down? I wasn't hungry so I said no . It wasn't til later that I smacked myself for that one. He had been home most of the day and I spent most of the day cleaning house and turning down a lunch date with my husband.
     This whole week has been an all around epic fail. I most certainly have not earned a mommy or wife of the week award . Apparently I won't be winning the friend of the week award either because I forgot a friends birthday this week. I would use the "Facebook didn't tell me " defense but thats really not a defense at all. She had mentioned it earler this week and truth is I just plain forgot.
     It is after midnight now so I can say "Thank God this week is over" . I can only pray that next week is better
    

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an Alexander week. I'm so sorry. I hope everyone is well, well-rested, and ready for Monday. You, my friend, need to ease up on yourself. You are almost always the overachiever when it comes to your family.

    ReplyDelete